DjHDGutilsPatchManager » History » Revision 2
PatchManager makes it easy to support large scale project migrations in the well controlled manner.
Patches can be different types, namely:
and they are run in sequentual manner one after one. The migrations are made that way that several developers
in a different branches can run their patches, merge them without conflicts (a random number at the end of the
patch name makes it low probability to patch names to interfere) and test well before going to production.
h3. Patch names
Patches can be named automatically that is for next command is made:
(env)djyp $ ./manage.py patch next
File /someproject/migrations/00636-avk-654.sql has been created
Filename consists from:
- 00636 - patch number
- avk - developer name
- 654 - the random part to ensure that patch names do not interfer with same developer different branch
- list - list pending patches
- install - install PatchManager track model table
- up - update project to latest migration
- skip - skip specific patch
- next - auto-generate the next available patch name
h3. Compare to other systems
Most of other systems differ by their primary usage. South for example mainly used for distributed project support. Our system
is simple and straightforward to use, we always know what patch is going to be installed on a production database.